Fifty Days of Prayer | Day 6
Praying for Church Planting through the Book of Acts
Satan, the enemy of the church had already made his first attack against God's people. But this time, the attack comes from within. In the midst of all the self-sacrificing generosity of the early church, a man and wife decide to practice a false godliness. They want the appearance of generosity without the sacrifice. They want to be thought well-of by the church, without any actual cost. The issue is not that they kept some of the proceeds of their sale for themselves. It is that he lied about how much he was giving (5:2). Peter identifies this false piety coming from Satan and not the Spirit (5:3). So, we pray for true godliness with honest generosity.
Ananias' sin cost him his life. But it also cost the life of his wife. After his death and subsequent removal his wife, Sapphira, was questioned about the sale price. Caught up in her husband's lie, she, too, loses her life. The result? "Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events" (5:11). So, we pray for the fear-of-the-Lord to fill our church.
Acts 5:12-16 is the third summary statement in this book. We're told that the Spirit continued to perform signs and wonders through the apostles. This church discipline of Ananias and Sapphira and continued work of the Spirit brought "more and more men and women [to believe] in the Lord" (5:14). So, we pray for the Spirit to continue to perform miraculous works that convert and purify the church.
We Pray for Spirit-filled Generosity
- Pray that the Spirit would protect from insincere displays of godliness or generosity.
- Pray that the Spirit would lead friends, family, or fellow believers to give generously to our church planting work.
We Pray for Protection from the Evil One
- Pray that God would provide supernatural discernment into the motives and intents of those who join our church plant.
- Pray that God would protect us from "wolves in sheep's clothing" that would seek to steal believers, lead them astray, or challenge our church's leadership.
- Pray that God would fill our congregation with a true fear-of-the-Lord from the very beginning.
We Pray for Signs and Wonders
- Pray the Spirit would perform similar signs and wonders for us.
- Pray the Spirit would use these exercises of his power and God's glory to draw many to faith.
- Pray that God would surprisingly and miraculously meet our needs (financial, housing, location)